Monday, April 23, 2012

Lorena R. Heathcock, Anita F. LeMon, Latin and the Temple of Poseidon

I was blessed with an array of excellent teachers throughout my school career. Mrs. Sametta Wallace Jackson at Harrison Elementary School - 5th and 6th grades. She tolerated a degree of silliness but insisted that we excel. Once, when we were supposed to find certain countries on a map and the boy behind me was not paying attention, she asked him, very quietly because she never raised her voice, why she should have more respect for his education than he had. Mrs. Jackson's words were on my mind very often last autumn when it was obvious that at least two-thirds of my clients were not interested in learning - they were just going through the motions, sometimes not even that. In the 5th grade, we had the possibility to learn Latin 30 minutes after school, one day a week - Mrs. Jackson's initiative. It was mostly stories in English with a few Latins words important in English: sub + mare = submarine, below the water. Like all good learning, it was level-appropriate and fun. And, we felt so smart, knowing a "foreign" language. It was serious, but no less fun from the 8th to the 12th grades. Lorena R. Heathcock, the greatest Latin teacher in the world, began to tell us about Ulysses the first week of 8th grade. We had class every day and the last 20 minutes on Friday were dedicated to the story, our reward for a week of otherwise hard work. There were a few new Latin words each week, translated if she saw blank expressions, until by the end of the year, the story was 90% in Latin, always tailored to the vocabulary in the book. Mrs Heathcock decided to send two of us to compete in the city-wide Latin exam held by the Washington Classical Club. Schools had recently been integrated and the Club had to open the exam to all schools. We would be the first Negroes (as we were designated then) ever to compete. She stayed after school with us for weeks, and the other student and I practiced together at lunch time. Her faith in us never wavered - she was sure we would make everyone proud. Believe it or not, I can still remember part of the test - one text to be translated into English from Latin was about Vercingetorix, chief of the Averni, who raised an army against Caesar. Should you ever visit me, you will see the certificate -vellum- framed, hanging in the entrance hall. I placed 4th out of more than 1,500 students from the greater D.C. area. The other student placed 10th. Mrs. Heathcock beamed for weeks. She was much loved. Mrs LeMon, too. The D.C. School Board (all white once my cousin Margaret left it) decided that black schools did not need Latin and if we did, then only in the 10th grade. Mrs L refused to accept their decision so she petitioned the School Board and then took us (14 students who wanted to continue with Latin) to a hearing. The Board members were too astonished to object so the principal, Charles Lofton (a saint!) just rearranged the schedule and we studied Cicero in the 11th grade and Virgil and Horace in the 12th. No, I cannot read it anymore but it was an enormous help in English and French and now in Spanish which is why I always recommend it. Mrs LeMon retired the year my class graduated, and she gave us some books. One, LATIN FOR AMERICANS, which she gave me, had a black and white photo of the Temple of Poseidon in Greece as an example of Greek architecture later adopted by the Romans. Two days ago, I stood in front of the remains of that temple, silently thanking all the superb teachers I have had. I said on the other blog that if there is someone who has touched your life, enriched it, let them know. Tell them before it is too late. I managed to thank all of the teachers I wrote about today, in person, as well as several others, especially Mrs Lucas, also in person. She's the reason I am an English teacher, a development never planned nor thought of when I was in school, but one which has allowed me to support myself and my sons when they needed it. Thanks, D.D.L. Later, I will tell you about the tour guide from Hell.

1 comment:

  1. I love foreign languages, and I was so disappointed that Latin was not offered in my high school. I never took it, but did develop a fair amount of knowledge from taking a class about the history of English root words (which emphasized Latin and Greek roots), and also studying systematic taxonomy (gotta name those new little critters in Latin) in science. - Cathy

    ReplyDelete