Thursday, January 19, 2012

Stars, Namibia and Gentlemen Hosts

First, the stars. Last night, I awoke about 3 am and, while still in bed, could see something bright in the sky just above the balcony railing. Of course, I had to investigate. It was either a very bright star or a planet but either way, it was something I had either never seen before or had never seen this far south. There was only the breeze from the movement of the ship, it was warm, probably about 70 degrees F, and slightly hazy. What a perfect introduction to the southern stars. Now, I will find a star chart for this region.

Today is Thursday and Sunday, we will arrive in Walvis, Namibia. We have to clear immigration before we can set foot on Namibia's apparently sacred soil, even for a 10second visit. And, the immigration process begins early - 6 am for those of us who want to go on a tour.

Why would such a poor country make it so difficult for tourists who only want to spend money, thereby helping the local economy. In speaking to people around the ship, I was initially surprised that many did not plan to leave the ship. Now, I know why.

And, I must apologize for my previous remarks about the gentlemen hosts - those men who get free passage and all that it entails but have to dance with the single women. I said that only 7 of 10 could dance. What I should have said is that each can dance but not all of them can do all of the dances usually expected in ballroom dancing. Well, the same is true for me but I am improving - today there was a lesson in quickstep and a lot of what I learned all those years ago in Bremerhaven came back as my partner and I glided across the floor. Tonight, we will have the chance to do it again only this time I will be wearing 3-inch heels. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment