Saturday, January 28, 2012

Queenspark, first diappointment and the wonders of nature

Queenspark is a clothing store for women, in the Victoria Wharf mall in Cape Town. I assumed that it would have larger sizes but the first 3 items I picked up were size 8. Oh, oh - wrong store, I thought. But then, Sharon to the rescue.

Sharon and her co-worker, whose name I have unfortunately forgotten, are what shop assistants should be but rarely are. Helpful, knowledgeable and COMPETENT. I told them that I was fob - fresh off the boat - and needed evening attire. I was bombarded with dresses, blouses and jackets which they selected for me to try on. I spent an enjoyable time (and for me to enjoy shopping alone is nothing short of a miracle) got exactly what I needed and was about to leave without an evening jacket. The woman who is not Sharon asked if I had more shopping to do because they had received a shipment which they had not opened. I went to the grocery store (mild detergent, rubber gloves, baking soda, a plastic container for my makeup), then to the shoe store for inserts and back to QUEENSPARK.

I had bought a lavender-grey top and, in the meantime, Sharon had found a gorgeous purple, gauzy jacket which was exactly what I needed. It was only the 2nd time in years (Macy's with Karen and an equally competent saleswomen in December) that I had had the benefit of such expertise. Thanks to you both!

Start saving now, both of you, so that you can do this trip long before you get to my age.

Disappointment:
We will not do a long stop at Mauritius - the 13 hours weather delay in Cape Town means that we have to alter the plans in order to get to Australia on time. Disappointing to many, especially several crew member from Mauritius.


But, the wonders of nature. When I was very young, I asked my grandfather where all the stars came from. He told me that when good people died, they became stars. And, there had been many, many good people. He pointed to one bright star and said that it was his mother.

Last night, I thought about him and that story. Dancing in the ballroom ends at midnight and then I go to the disco for an hour or so, then to the buffet for some sliced fruit and juice and then to my stateroom so it's usually about 2 am when I get there.

Last night was clear and for the first time in about 30 years, I saw the MILKY WAY, so clearly that I could discern the division. It's possible that I saw part of the Southern Cross but the ship's position precluded facing south. Tonight I will go up to the observation deck - 13 - and hope to see Crux. But, no matter what, last night was very special.

No comments:

Post a Comment