Monday, January 16, 2012

DHS reunion / QM 2 dress code

In 2010 I attended the 50th reunion of my high school class. One of the former students who did not attend the reunion can be seen on my facebook page. She is or was a classic example of what happens to those who have little or no education. She was the daughter of an unwed, poorly educated mother. My friend got pregnant in the 10th grade, dropped out of school as girls did then, eventually finished a low-level high school but was never able to improve her life or the life of the daughter she had when she was a child herself. The daughter, so my friend told me, became a crack addict who gave birth to an addicted baby that my friend was trying to raise. But, my friend developed diseases from poor choices, lost her home and now has died, much too young. What will happen to her grandchild is anyone's guess but the odds are not good.

For years I have told anyone who would listen and even those who would not, that education meant choices. The more education, the more choices. There is no guarantee of either success or happiness but the chances for both improve dramatically. I thank God every day for my family background which valued education and made sure that I got more than my share.

Now, about life aboard: there is a dress code for the evening. Tonight is formal, and I do mean formal. The parade of evening gowns is quite impressive and I love it - sort of the princess in me. Tonight I am glittering in gold sequins which Liberace would have loved, high heels and a glittering hair clip. I had my photo taken professionally as I think my sons have never seen me dressed up.

Semi-formal means a cocktail dress and elegant casual means the men wear jackets but no ties, women wear skirts, blouses or dark trousers. Well, it is the QUEEN MARY 2. During the day anything is possible but the on board tv says no jeans after 6 pm, out of respect for the other guests.

Oops, time for ballroom dancing with the Gentlemen Hosts - men installed by Cunard to dance with single female travelers. There are 10 of them and 7 can actually dance. Fortunately, there are 3 single men who like to dance and are good at it, so the evening passes much too quickly. But then, there is a dance every evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment