Thursday, March 14, 2013

NEW ZEALAND - The Bay of Islands



May we please leave the Asian countries with intense humidity for a while and go straight to New Zealand??? It’s like leaving the instant mashed potatoes and overcooked broccoli and going straight to the dessert.

I’ll write about Sydney when we go back there in a few days.

I awoke as we glided past islands and rocks large and small, sprinkled in the bay.  What a glorious day – brilliant sunshine, a breeze and cool enough to warrant a light jacket.  We anchored off the coast and could see small settlements around the bay.

The first announcement was that we had been given clearance to leave the ship and that customs officers would be waiting to check our bags for vegetation which might harm the delicate ecosystem of New Zealand – no food, not even cooked, only sealed bottles of water.

The next announcement was that the Chart Room and Sir Samuel’s bar were overflowing with passengers waiting for the tenders.  Oh, oh – tickets.  By the time I got a ticket, it was for tender number 34 and they had just called 18.  So I went back up to deck 7 and walked around the deck.  There I met Christine and Keith, English but living in Australia, for about the same amount of time as I have been in Europe. 

I judged the time correctly – it helped that I could count the tenders leaving – and got back when they were calling 31.   For a change, I sat in the open top of the tender and it was very smooth until we crossed the wake of a speed boat.  Then we rocked and rolled for about 30 seconds – wonderful!

If you remember last year, there is a Bay of Islands in Australia and while there, I went to Airlie Beach. It reminded me of a small California beach community.   New Zealand’s      Bay of Islands is even more beautiful.  Of course it helped that the weather has been perfect since Sydney.  Any rain fell in the middle of the night.

New Zealand – made up of 3 main islands - was the last land mass to be inhabited.  Polynesians first came to NZ before AD 1,000 and settled mainly on the North Island.  They probably numbered more than 200,000 until the arrival of European diseases and weapons.

Abel Tasman visited briefly in 1642 but was chased away by the Maoris but not before donating his name to Tasmania and the Tasman Sea.  James Cook visited also and apparently got along with the Maoris better than Tasman had.

Unfortunately for the Maoris, whaling was very profitable for the Europeans and a whaling station was the first noteworthy European settlement.  But, unfortunately for the moas, giant wingless birds (how dumb is that?), the Maoris like to hunt them, apparently to extinction.

Then, in 1840 there was the Treaty of Waitangi, or rather the treaties, between the British and 12 Maori clans:  one version in English and one in Maori.  In all probability, some things got lost in translation as fighting continued.

Despite occasional and some continuing disputes, Waitangi Day is celebrated in February and there is a memorial park, which is near the wharf where the tender docked at Paihia. 

The village was open for the tourists, even though it was a Sunday and the Post Office, which was not open, had a sign in the window telling us that we could get stamps at the stationary shop across the street.  And everyone I have encountered since then has been as friendly and helpful as that sign.

I bought postcards and sat in the sun writing some of them and licking the stamps from the stationary store and then dropping them in the box for overseas mail.  They should be there soon.

Paihia is a village strung around the bay, charming and friendly.  I bought earring from Penny Ryan (www.pennyryan.co.nz) who uses facebook to keep the “Chinese” from stealing her designs. Good for her!  And the earrings are beautiful.  Her stand was part of a local market, equally charming.

The Waitangi National Reserve has a collection of Maori weapons including a gun which belonged to Hone Heke Pokai, one of the signers of the treaty.  There is a magnificent Whare Runanga –meeting house – with carvings to represent the main Maori clans.

There is also an enormous canoe – 120 feet long, about 40 , which can carry 150 warriors – named Ngatokimatawhaorua.  Try saying that fast!  That was the name of the canoe in which Kupe discovered Aotearoa – the Land of the Long Cloud – New Zealand.

I had signed up for a tour, The Maori Adventure, which I assumed would involve watching a hake, a traditional greeting, perhaps some singing.  “Hello”, she said.  “My name is Judi and I am going to show you how to get your life vests on.”

Life vests??  Then, 3 semi-naked men appeared and pointed to paddles on the ground and the very long canoes being pushed up onto the shore.  Shades of Norway and the King Crab Safari.

The clan chief told us about the legends of the gods, that the word “Maori” mean “almost human” and that they call themselves te papa – the people.  He then had us form lines and tried to get one or 2 men into each line and handed each of us paddles.  One by one, we climbed into the canoes and, after a prayer by the chief, we tried to establish a cadence for paddling – “paddle and tap, paddle and tap, paddle and tap”.  That didn’t work at all but somehow we managed to leave the shore and travel more or less straight.  On the way we learned about some of the trees, shrubs and wildlife along the shore.  And, I managed to paddle the entire way to the waterfall – about 4 km.  We had the benefit of an outboard motor on the way back.  Another amazing adventure!

Then the chief asked if one of us would be willing to say a prayer.  Had I had the chance, I would have recited a poem/song learned years ago:

I am the mountain, I am the sky, I am the swallow, I fly and fly

I am the river, I nurse the land, I am the mountain, I am, I am

We’re bound together, this world and me, I am a part of all that I see

I am the river, I nurse the land, I am the mountain, I am, I am.

 

A most wonderful day followed by an evening (3 + hours) of dancing:  line dancing, sequence dancing, barn dances, English country dances and regular ballroom dancing.

Sometimes, it’s a lot of fun being me!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment