Friday, March 11, 2016

Across The Indian Ocean

February 5th - 12th, 2016


Across the Indian Ocean

There are several overland excursions available through the ship’s tour office:  from Cape Town there were safaris into the African bush, some very luxurious while others were more primitive.  Those on tour left at Cape Town and rejoined the ship at Port Elizabeth, several days later.  Unfortunately some returned bringing bacteria, both pulmonary and gastro-intestinal.

I had already picked up a cold which was just about gone when it came back thanks to some of those bacteria.  Because I really do not like going to the doctor or the side effects of the antibiotics which would normally be prescribed, I put off going to the doctor for much too long.  

The worst aspect of my stubbiness is that I missed most of Australia and especially the Melbourne Triplets - three wonderful women and dynamite dancers I met on QUEEN MARY 2 several years ago.  

The first Australian stop was Fremantle, on the Indian Ocean.  I got off the ship, found a pharmacy and a post office, wandered around for about an hour and went home.  Per spent the day trying to get my computer repaired, to no avail.  




The rainbow seemed to come closer to the ship.












About 10 minutes from downtown
Free
Would have loved this

The source of my beaded handbags.















The rest of Australia:  Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney were a blur.  Finally, when we got to Brisbane I was able to really enjoy the stop.  By Cairns I was almost fully recovered. 


We walked around Cairns, in 100 degree F sunny weather, looking for an apple store which is closed on weekends and it was Saturday.  So, we walked some more and dragged ourselves back to the ship.  

No comments:

Post a Comment