Monday, September 17, 2012

Four D's and a C

Most of the sail-away parties, held on the aft outside deck seemed to be scheduled for 6 pm, just when I should be sitting down to dinner.   The service on board was the most excellent I have ever experienced and my waiters (waiter and assistant waiter as well as the Head Waiter for my section) were wonderful.  They, along with many other crew members, spoiled me wonderfully - thanks guys.  But, as I hated to make them wait (in the other sense of the word) for me, I would always miss the sail-away.

However, the last Southampton sail-away began about 4 pm and while standing next to a dance host, I saw the Isle of Wight, his home.  He pointed out various landmarks and really should work for the tourist board. 

As I turned to dance with some people doing the Electric Slide, my best friend from the crew said, "There you are.  I want you to meet some other friends of mine".  And thus, I met the 4 D's and a C - Iris, a big-band singer with a lilting voice, Steve with a very dry English sense of humor, Jaimie, tall, blonde, ebullient and irrepressible and Tom, by turns a serious businessman and a hilarious party animal and great dancer.  

C, husband of the aforementioned Jaimie, is one of the most interesting people you are likely to meet.  I can imagine him in a "MacGyver" situation, having to prevent x-number of bad guys from taking over the world.  He would devise a fiendish plot (only fiendish to the bad guys, brilliant to the rest of us) using a spanner, burned out light bulb, plastic cup, lemon juice and string and would, in fact, save the world without harming anyone or the environment.

Jaimie and Tom are best friends, best siblings, best off-spring and a tribute to their parents.  Steve and Iris are the kind of parents many of us wish for and rarely get.

The D's and C exude love for each other and it radiates around them.  I was lucky enough to be within the circle and it was one of the most wonderful times of my life. From the trivia quizzes at the crack of dawn, 10:30 am, to the after-disco trek to the buffet from 2 am on,  we talked, laughed, negotiated trivia answers, danced, sang in the ballroom with Pat at 2 am, joined in singing BUILD ME UP, BUTTERCUP at the karaoke and laughed some more. 

Another "amazing" adventure which ended with an invitation for me to visit them - I'm looking forward to it. 

Thanks for the memories.




No comments:

Post a Comment