Monday, July 30, 2012

Tromso without a line through the 2nd "o"










Trees and snow on the hills and mountains outside the city but the same cheerful, healthy-appearing citizens.  By this time, I had stopped asking ,"Do you speak English?" because apparently EVERYONE does and does so cheerfully. 


I did not book a tour as I wanted to wander and wander I did, up hill and down dale, down one of the main streets and up and down most of the side streets - about 4 hours.  I discovered that baking soda, used to clean my teeth and my clothes, has the same name in Norwegian as in German - Natron.  I went to a grocery store, part of a chain also in Germany, later, found a travelling elk-burger stand featuring elk and reindeer steaks, sausage (smoked or cooked), hamburgers cooked while you wait.  I declined but photographed the truck.







Then, on to a yarn store with a bicycle outside.  The bicycle seat had a cover - a knitted sheep's head, knitted mice on the pedals and an amazing supply of knitting yarn inside, all at Norwegian prices.  Since I did not have a house to mortgage, I only bought enough for a round. 

For years, I have collected yarn from different trips, all either purple or lavender, with a note as to where I got it.  Now, I think I have enough to make a sweater on round needles using all the yarn.  It will be gorgeous!

As with much of the rest of the trip, I got wet, got dry, got wet, got frizzy hair and did not care!  See the Muppets "I Love My Hair" on youtube.






The library, which from the front looks like a shark's jaw, wide open has an enormous number of books in English, another reason for the ease of language, added to not dubbing tv shows and movies.   There were a few empty buildings which did not bother me as much as the usual chain stores which infect most inner cities or shopping malls.  Fortunately, there seems to be enough money around to keep the small shops in business.  Good place for a job??



The Methodist Church
 



The Tromso Savings Bank

Market Square and Whaling Monument

Two explorers

No comments:

Post a Comment